A long time ago, the lyrics of an Indian film song caught my ears, which went something like this: ‘Dhoop mein nikla na karo roop ki rani, gora rang kala na pad jaye’.
Despite having no attachment to these lyrics, even fair-skinned people like me must have at least learned in this age of childhood ignorance that exposure to strong sunlight damages our skin’s natural color.
The glory of the memory of this song comes to an end. In the year 2023, spring spread its pleasant colors in most parts of Pakistan, but from the beginning of April, it started to feel as if the sun has come to our senses this time.
On the one hand, when everyone outside seems to seek shade from time to time to avoid the heat of the sun, many people, including me, are experimenting with possible ways to protect themselves from this skin-burning sun.
However, while the sun has many benefits, it also has some disadvantages, especially with regard to skin problems.
According to experts, while the gentle rays of the sun in the morning are said to be helpful for obtaining vitamin D, the sun from 11 am to 3 pm is at its peak, and during this time, going out without any protective measures is harmful to the skin. Can be quite harmful.
So, with the changing of the season, what should be done to protect the skin to avoid the harmful effects of the hot sun, which can give glow (shine and freshness) to our skin in every season, including the heat, to know different skin specialists (specialists in diseases) Soon) we spoke to.
Sunblock is as important in winter as it is in summer. ‘
Dr. Maria Syed, Skin Specialist (Dermatologist) at Shifa International Hospital Islamabad, was the first to tell that whether the weather is cloudy or sunny, UV (ultraviolet rays) from the sun are harmful to our skin. Sun block must be applied for protection.
However, the most immediate sun damage depends on your skin tone. The effects of sun damage on the skin are long-lasting and ‘ageing’ occurs with the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines and wrinkles.
According to Dr Maria, ‘darker or tanned complexions are protected from immediate sun damage, while fair-toned sun damage is more immediate and more severe, with skin tanning first. So first of all the color on it gets a little bad and starts getting tanned. According to Dr. Maria, ‘If we talk about our skin, applying sun protection is very important to avoid the effects of aging.’
Before proceeding, let me remind you that there are three types of UV (ultraviolet rays) in sunlight.۔
- UVA (UVA) is based on many of the ultraviolet rays that reach the Earth’s surface. Due to its ability to penetrate the skin, it is responsible for 80% of skin aging, from wrinkles to facial blemishes.
- UVB can damage the DNA in our skin, leading to sunburn and eventually cancer.
- UVC is very effective at destroying genetic material, but ozone in the atmosphere filters it before it reaches Earth and penetrates our delicate skin.
In this regard, Dr. Maria said that UVA affects the upper skin of the skin, it will tan the skin and create shadows, while UVB radiation also affects the inner layer of the skin and goes to the dermis and destroys collagen. Affects and ages.
Dr. Armila Javed is a skin specialist as well as a cosmetologist. She also recommends regular use of sunblock to avoid the harmful effects of the sun.
The use of sun block is very important to protect the skin. Especially in areas where the sun’s rays are very strong and you spend most of your time outside, the use of sunblock becomes very important.
The use of sunblock protects from the rays of the sun that can cause skin cancer. Apart from this, sunblock also protects against ultraviolet rays, which cause dark spots, wrinkles and dark spots on the skin. These rays of the sun aggravate eczema in many people and bring out various problems including skin inflammation in some.
“Lotion for dry skin and gel and cream sunblock for oily skin” ‘
- To avoid the harmful rays of the sun, experts are calling the use of sun block necessary, but it is also important to understand how to apply it.
- Not only this, but the different SPFs written on the sunblock also confuse the general public as to which subblock is suitable for them.
- According to Dr Maria, SPF stands for Sun Protecting Factor and applying sunblock once in the morning and once in the afternoon can provide good protection.
- According to Dr. Maria
- For people who have any serious skin disease, their SPF will be recommended by their doctor, but for those who do not have any skin disease and want to avoid sun rays, SPF 30 to 50. Enough is enough.
- Those with dry skin should apply sunblock available in the form of a lotion, otherwise the sunblock available in the form of a cream will stick to their skin and look ugly.
- Some sunblocks are labeled as sebum control, so they are meant for oily or oily skin. Mainly it also controls oil and acne.
- Both cream and gel sun block can be applied for combination or normal skin.
- For better protection, reapply sunblock every two to three hours to provide good protection.۔
Avoid sun stress by using an umbrella, hat or p-cap and sunglasses
- We have known and understood the use of sun block and its benefits, but despite this, many people are not able to apply sun block habitually.
- It should be remembered that the sun does not harm our skin in one day, but when the skin is affected by the sun from childhood, the problem of aging or pigmentation starts appearing in youth.
- For such people, experts say that while taking care of our health, we have to change our lifestyle to avoid the harmful effects of the sun.
- According to Dr. Urmila:
- ‘Avoid going out unnecessarily when the sun is hot.’
- Cover yourself with a cotton or muslin cloth when going out. If you have taken a dupatta, cover your face with it or shade it.
- “Using an umbrella is an easy way to minimize the negative or harmful effects of the sun.”
- Children or young people who ride a bicycle or bike should wear a cap while in the sun. Even in the case of a helmet, the face is protected from the sun, but if you apply sunblock before that, you can get additional protection.
- “Pedestrians should also wear a hat or p-cap as it can provide shade.”
- Those mothers who go to pick up or drop their children from school should not only take an umbrella themselves, but also make the children accustomed to take an umbrella from childhood. ‘
Dr. Maria also shared some tips to avoid harmful effects of sun. According to them
- “Wearing sunglasses while in the sun helps prevent the stress of the sun, including tightening of the skin around the forehead and around the eyes.”
Always wear gloves while driving and apply shades on the glasses to protect yourself from the sun and its effects.
Those who are unable to apply sunblock should at least apply a moisturizer to provide some sun protection. The more raw the skin, the more direct the sun’s rays will affect us۔
Dr. Maria says, “When the sun rays don’t reach us directly, we don’t feel so tired on our skin.”
Aloe vera gel is better for skin but not a substitute for sunblock. ‘
Among the remedies available for many skin problems, aloe vera gel is considered an elixir. And it has been used since ancient times to protect skin and hair. However, can it be a substitute for sunblock? In response to this question, Dr. Maria said that aloe vera gel is not a substitute for sun block.
Elvera gel keeps the skin healthy, but this gel cannot act as a sunblock. It is better to apply aloe vera directly from the plant than its gel formula which is available in the market.
Dr. Urmila says that aloe vera contains natural ingredients that are good for skin and hair alike. According to him, its gel is also helpful in reducing the harmful effects of the harmful rays of the sun, but instead of taking the gel directly from the plant, the commonly available gel in the market is easier to use.
According to Dr. Urmila
- Aloe vera has a soothing effect on the skin and its gel works well as a conditioner and helps retain moisture.
- Aloe Vera is neither acidic nor alkaline in nature, so it has an effect on the skin that is equally effective for both children and adults and is completely harmless.
- Aloe vera gel can be used in all seasons, summer and winter.
- Aloe Vera gel deeply moisturizes the skin and also helps in reducing the harmful effects of the sun’s harmful rays.
How much and how much sunblock to apply before going out in the sun?
Regarding the application of sun block, some people complain that after applying sun block, a gray or white layer appears on the face, which looks ugly. In the same way, people are afraid of the sunblock being washed off the skin during the heat, so some are afraid of washing their face or washing it off.
Dr. Urmila says that some people cannot tolerate sunblock in the form of creams or lotions, or they do not like the smell, so there are alternatives to sunblock for them.
Some people don’t like a gray or white layer of sunblock or find it a difficult task to apply nblock, in which case we recommend subblocks in powder form that are applied to the skin like face powder. Gets excited. ‘
According to Dr Urmila, oral sun protection tablets or supplements also work to protect the skin in the same way that we get the benefits of sun block cream, lotion or gel.
There are chemicals or supplements that protect against the sun’s rays, we call them oral sun protection tablets or sunblock. They are made from chemicals or plant-derived ingredients that, after eating, provide the same protection to your skin that sunblock in the form of lotions or creams.
Oral sunblock also prevents skin damage by reducing the absorption of ultraviolet radiation, preventing collagen fiber breakdown, pigmentation, and even DNA damage. which may lead to cancer. ‘
According to Dr. Urmila, the effect of oral sunblock or supplement is also more and for more protection, additional protection can be given by applying sunblock on top.
According to them, sunblock should be applied at least one hour before going out in the sun.
We usually apply a small amount of sunblock. A teaspoonful should be applied as a layer for the face and neck as soon as we get protection. After two hours, its effectiveness starts to decrease, even if the mouth is not washed.
According to him, oral sunblock is very useful for people with many types of skin problems. Also, they are very important for those who are allergic to the sun.
Courtesy BBC URDU (https://www.bbc.com/urdu/articles/crg0g9gv8nlo)