- Divorce is a legal dissolution totally or partially of a marriage by a court or any other competent authority.
- Separations of husband and wife are called divorce.
B) CAUSES OF DIVORCE:
The following are the causes of divorce:
- TRADITIONAL FACTORS ON OUR SOCIETY:
- The Impact of Collective Unconscious: The past history of an individual can lead to the divorce.
- Male Domination: Male are dominate in our society and this negative attitude has broadened gulf between man and woman.
- Control of Marriage Contract: Now in our society a woman can also have right to get divorce on spatial grounds.
- Abrupt Changes in Old Traditions: Any Abrupt changes in tradition can lead to the shaking of calm way of life.
- INTER-FAMILY FACTORS:
- Marriage without Willingness of the Partners: Any marriage without willingness of either partner can lead to misunderstanding between husband and wife and end up in divorce.
- Reciprocal Marriage: Marriage arranged on reciprocal women is above the factor of divorce in our society.
- Family Feuds: Family feuds can make dissatisfaction among the two leading to divorce.
- Interference by In-Laws: Too much interference of in-laws leads to frustration among husband and wife.
- SOCIO-ECONOMIC FACTORS:
- Economic Insufficiency: Unsound economic condition of the family can lead to separation or divorce.
- Job Insecurity: Unemployment or irregular employment may result in financial problem and can be a cause of divorce.
- Poor Housing Condition: Failure of the husband to provide responsible home can also lead to divorce.
- Lake of Recreation Facilities: Lake of recreation facilities can also lead to divorce.
- Changed Economic Role of Woman: Now a day’s women are doing profitable jobs and they are no longer dependent on males. This factor can also be a cause of divorce.
- PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Selfish Partner: If any of the partner is self-centered, and do not think of other may lead to divorce doubts and fears ultimately divorce.
- Short-Tempered & Emotionally Disturbed Partner: May result in frequent quarrels which may result to divorce.
- Narrow-Minded Partner: Any of the partners who are narrow-minded are suspicious which result in breaking of trust and love and result in divorce.
- Insincere Partner: Any type of Insincerity and doubt between the two can dissolve their marriage.
- Habitual Addiction: Any type of drug addiction can result in divorce.
- PERSONALITY DIFFERENCE:
- Difference in Education: Any lag in education of either partner may result in divorce.
- Emotional in Incompatibility: Temperamental differences or emotional incompatibility may result in divorce.
- Difference in Socio-Economic Status: The greater is the difference of status between the families of husband and wife is also the cause of divorce.
- Difference in Religious Belief: Any religious deviancies from either side may be result of divorce.
C) EFECTS OF DIVORCE:
- Divorced parents ignore their children.
- Divorced parent’s children became selfish and develop psychological problems.
- The children of divorced parents may develop sense of insecurity and negative thinking leading to disruptive behaviour.
- Children develop inferiority complex.
- Children may become destructive in nature.